Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Got the Bug

Today I woke up late, (as is a new tradition on my Tuesdays "off", which I assure you is not laziness, but instead my one day weekend - work and school take up my real weekends) and was immediately hit with the foodie bug. Laying in bed I thought to myself about what ingredients I had in the pantry. What came to mind was the large bag of red potatoes Eric and I bought about a week and a half ago.

As some of you might remember I decided to make potato chips as part of my spread for a get-together Brittni and I hosted this past New Year's Eve - a part of my attempt to legitimize the mandolin slicer that I bought myself as a Christmas gift. What a great idea for a massive amount of potatoes just getting bored on the shelf, desperately trying to avoid growing sprouts and walking off.

Deciding to take a slightly different approach to this session of chip making I got out the necessary ingredients, this time including much more olive oil than last since I would be frying instead of baking.

Collect:
Potatoes (I used large red)
Olive Oil
Salt
Black Pepper
Smoked Paprika
Chipotle Chili Powder



I heated the oil in my fry pan to medium high heat on our range. Then I carefully dropped slices of potato between 1/8" and 1/16" that I had cut using the mandolin kitchen slicer into the golden liquid that I had already prepared with S&P along with the paprika and chili powder. Then came the tricky part (one I have not yet completely mastered), evenly cooking the chips
to a crisp but not burned texture.

When they have reached the point where they both appear and feel a stiff, they go onto a paper towel lined plate. Batch after batch of chips starts to get boring. Trust me. Really boring.

After I yielded a large bowl of chips I decided to switch to another flavor - balsamic vinegar. DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT ever add balsamic to hot olive oil (something tells me my common sense should have seen this coming). The result is a very violent reaction, which I imagine would be very similar to adding cold water to the oil. Luckily I quickly turned the gas off.

Somewhat disheartened I returned to my previous method of baking the chips in the oven, however after burning the first batch, I decided that the rest of the massive pile of sliced potatoes I had accrued would be better in a cheesy, scalloped & baked format.

So later in the day after a little homework and a much longer StumbleUpon session, I visited my preferred culinary website Epicurious (visit!) for a cheesy scalloped recipe: Scalloped Potatoes with Three Cheeses.

This recipe includes cheddar, Bleu and Parmesan cheeses. I added a little bit of cubed ham on top. The result was a long awaited, but thoroughly appetizing late dinner, complementing the end of the Twins game.



I am also enjoying a new (to me) beer in honor of the new baseball season (GO TWINS!, I can't believe they came back for a win!) and as a complement to my meal: Breckenridge brewery of Denver, CO's Small 471 Batch Double Hopped India Pale Ale. This was a much stronger beer than I anticipated.

It brings a hefty amount of hops, beautiful caramel color and a strong punch.

More than one or two of these beers will put you in a dizzy.

1 comment:

  1. I love reading these posts. It makes it really enjoyable to read about your food adventures and beer tasting when I'm not around. Can't wait to be back in the cities eating and drinking along side of you! Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete