Wednesday, April 15, 2009

New Life

Yesterday I made a trip up to Home Depot for some spring gardening supplies. It's officially time for me to start my own garden (at my parent's haha).

I bought a seedling starter, hand trowel, 7x 6" terra cotta colored plastic pots, one 20"x~6" planter, some MiracleGrow potting soil and, of course, a variety of seeds including:

Herbs
-Sweet Basil
-Garlic Chives
-Cilantro
-Oregano
-Parsley
-Rosemary
-Spearmint

Peppers:
-California Wonder Bell Peppers
-Carnival Mix (Green, Purple and White) Bell Peppers
-Habanero
-Jalepeno
-Hot Mix (Anaheim, Ancho, Long Slim Red Cayenne, Jalepeno, Hungarian Wax)

Vegetables:
-Green Bean
-Carrot
-Cucumber
-Lettuce (Simpson Black Seed)
-Sugar Daddy Pea
-Scallion (Green Onion)
-Summer Squash (Zucchini)
-Watermelon (not a vegetable but fits best here)

I spent ridiculous amount of time creating a beautiful planting and care guide for each type of seed I bought. I probably could have spend some of that time on homework instead but what's done is done.

I then carefully planted each type of pepper into the ~1"x1" seedling starter squares, covering the tray with the clear "greenhouse" plastic lid. Peppers apparently have a somewhat longer yield time than other vegetables and are very good with transplanting. I also planted all of the different types of herbs into the 6" round planters. It was recommended to me by the wondrous internet that I also plant the peas early and indoors due to these plants break in yield during the hot peak of the summer.

So now I cross my fingers and wait. Hopefully my thumb is green.

1 comment:

  1. I'm very excited to see it! Hope that it's going well. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete